Archive for ‘June, 2011’

Corbelly Hill Convent

Corbelly Hill Convent was erected in 1881 for Nuns of the Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and sits on top of the Corbelly Hill overlooking the town centre of Dumfries.

The convent has also been a girls school and temporary court for Dumfries while the actual court house was being renovated. The cells are still in place today.

The Convent building was also used to film the Magdalene Sisters.

The convent closed its doors to actual nuns in 1980 but the reverend mother still continued to live in the place on her own until she was found dead in the cellar area in 1992 due to old age.